MoU between the IEC and the OIML
The OIML and the IEC (International Electrotechnical Commission) have concluded an agreement, in the form of a “Memorandum of Understanding” (MoU), covering the relationship between the two organizations in matters of technical cooperation, conformity assessment and the development and application of standards.
The MoU was signed during a special ceremony that took place in Prague, on 13 October 2011, as part of the 46th CIML Meeting. Signing the MoU were Mr. Pierre de Ruvo on behalf of the Secretary General and CEO of the IEC, Mr. Aharon Amit, who could not be present and Peter Mason, CIML President. Mr. De Ruvo is the Executive Secretary of the IECEE, IEC’s conformity assessment system for electrotechnical equipment.
Mr. De Ruvo also represented the IEC in the working group that drafted the MoU. The OIML representatives on that group were Roman Schwartz, CIML Vice-President, and Ian Dunmil and Willem Kool of the BIML.
The text of the MoU was reviewed by the members of CIML Presidential Council and discussed at their meeting in March 2011. The Presidential Council agreed with the text, but felt that the following clarifications should be provided to the OIML community:
- Note 1. In this MoU the term ‘jointly developed publications’ refers to the result of a process whereby the two organizations cooperate in the development of technical requirements or guidance documents, for instance in a joint working group, while each of the organizations publish separate, but equivalent publications, following their own adoption procedures. This should not be confused with a ‘joint publication’ which is to be understood as one publication, published by two (or more) organizations.
- Note 2. The term ‘equivalent’ in this MoU refers to the situation where the application of the provisions of either the IEC publication, or the OIML publication on the same topic leads to the same result, although the (relevant parts of) both publications may not be identical.
The text of the MoU was then submitted to the CIML for approval. With Resolution No. 10 of its 46th Meeting (11-14 October 2011), the CIML approved the MoU and instructed the BIML to commence the drawing up of a joint OIML-IEC work program. Some of the elements of such a work program have already been identified by the working group that drafted the MoU and include:
- Joint press release on the signature of the MoU.
- Cross-reference list of relevant OIML and IEC Technical Committees.
- List of OIML experts appointed to participate in IEC TCs/SCs.
- List of IEC/IEC conformity assessment experts appointed to participate in OIML TCs/SCs.
- IECEE participation in OIML CTT (conformity to type) seminar.
- OIML participation in IECEE PTP (proficiency testing program) workshop.
Download the MoU as a PDF file:
Signing of the new IEC-OIML MoU in Prague, 13 October 2011.
Left: Mr. Pierre de Ruvo on behalf of the Secretary General and CEO of the IEC - Right: Mr. Peter Mason, CIML President